Pages

Crown Brush Blusher Palette

Tuesday 30 August 2011


I've been itching to try this palette ever since I read a review by the British Beauty Blogger. Blusher is a staple item in my make-up bag (err, trolley), as I've the kind of whey-faced complexion that tends to draw concerned comments like, 'are you sickening for something?' On the post-natal ward where my son was treated for jaundice a midwife quipped that I could use twelve hours under the UVB lamp myself. How I laughed.

Still, she was right about the familial link. My grandmother has exactly the same skin tone, historically attracting similar comments. During the war, her parents got so cheesed-off with people querying their daughter's constitution that they spent precious ration coupons on Bourjois Rouge to tint her wan cheeks rosy.


Vintage Year: Bourjois Rouge circa 1930s.


Back to the present day and the palette in question. When I first clapped eyes on this sleek, substantial box I was a little bit in love just lifting the lid because here, if you're a habitual cheek colour user, are ten pans of heaven. It's difficult to make out in the photograph above, but only two of the tones are actually matt (top left and top right), whilst the rest have a lovely soft, sheen. There's a whole world of pink but each, I can assure, differ in their undertones. Most easy-wear are the peachy hues but what I've most enjoyed about using this palette is that it encourages experimentation.


After giving each shade a whirl individually I've taken to layering. A chalky pale lilac/pink over the light bronze looks pleasingly directional without entering into kooky mum territory; although to be fair, I'm all for a bit of eccentricity. There's even a spot-on matt contour shade. Years ago a make-up artist told me that the perfect colour for carving out bone structure is a marron/brown tone - this is it. Granted it looks scary in the pan but in reality is much, much sheerer than you'd imagine. 


I'm finding it hard to dredge up any real cons; the colour pay-off is good, the blusher itself long-wearing. My only minor criticism would be that you do get more powder 'shedding' than you might be used to with a baked blusher but, for £14.72, I'm certainly not complaining. www.crownbrush.co.uk

No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs